Salads are a cornerstone of a healthy diet, and the dressing alone in this dish packs a nutritious punch: It’s made with extra-virgin olive oil, which contains compounds like oleocanthal and oleuropein that possess anti-inflammatory properties, and it’s sweetened with honey, rich in cardioprotective flavonoids and phenolic compounds linked to reduced risk of heart disease.
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil (TRY: California Olive Ranch Reserve Miller’s Blend Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- 2 large limes, zested and juiced
- 2 tbsp chopped BPA-free canned chipotle peppers with adobo sauce
- 1 tbsp raw honey (TRY: Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Raw Honey)
- 1 1-lb butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 8 oz organic tempeh, cubed
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 6 cups mixed baby lettuces
- 1 14-oz BPA-free can black beans, drained and rinsed (TRY: Eden Organic Black Beans No Salt Added)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/3 cup crumbled queso fresco or mild feta cheese
1. Make dressing: In a blender, purée all dressing ingredients. Set aside.
2. Make salad: Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, toss together squash, tempeh and oil. Spread on sheet. Roast until squash is tender, about 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring vinegar and honey to a simmer on medium-high. Add onion and remove from heat. Let stand about 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
4. Place lettuces on a platter or in a large bowl. Top with squash mixture, beans, avocado and pickled onion. Drizzle with dressing and sprinkle with cheese; toss just before serving.
Make Ahead: Make dressing and pickled onions up to 3 days ahead; store in separate airtight containers in the fridge. The squash and tempeh can be roasted up to 2 days ahead and refrigerated in an airtight container. Assemble before serving.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 473
- Carbohydrate Content: 31 g
- Cholesterol Content: 5 mg
- Fat Content: 34 g
- Fiber Content: 10 g
- Protein Content: 15 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 6 g
- Sodium Content: 192 mg
- Sugar Content: 6.5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 23 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 5 g