Exceptionally hearty, these cabbage rolls are stuffed with a mouthwatering array of meaty mushrooms and chewy quinoa.
- 1 large head green or savoy cabbage
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 2 cups diced cremini mushrooms
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 2 tbsp yellow miso
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseeds
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped unsalted walnuts
- 3 cups cooked tricolor quinoa
- 1/4 cup full-fat feta or soft nut cheese, optional
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh chives + additional for serving
- 1 1/2 cups all-natural marinara sauce
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Submerge whole cabbage in water, cover and cook 3 to 4 minutes. Drain water and carefully peel off 8 of the outer leaves.
2. In a sauté pan on medium, heat oil. Add onion, carrot and celery and cook for 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and caraway seeds and cook for 3 minutes more, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and transfer mixture to a food processor. Add miso, flaxseeds and pepper. Pulse to finely chop mixture while retaining plenty of texture. Add walnuts and pulse a few more times to incorporate. Transfer to a large bowl, add quinoa, cheese (if using) and chives and mix thoroughly.
3. To assemble, lay a cabbage leaf on a flat surface. Place a packed 1/2 cup of quinoa mixture on the leaf near the stem end, pressing the mixture into a compact oval, about half the length of the leaf. Fold the top of the leaf down toward the stem, then fold the 2 sides over the filling and roll up. Repeat with remaining cabbage leaves.
4. Into a large sauté pan or shallow pot, pour half of marinara, spreading out sauce to coat the entire bottom surface. Carefully place cabbage rolls, folded side down, in pan. Drizzle tops of rolls with remaining half of marinara. Cover and cook on medium-low for 10 minutes to heat through. To serve, use a spatula to transfer rolls to a plate, spooning a little sauce with them. Sprinkle with additional chives. If storing, transfer rolls and sauce to a sealed container and refrigerate for up to 4 days, reheating as needed.
Tip: While this recipe uses only the outside leaves of the cabbage, you can enjoy the remainder of the vegetable chopped and briefly sautéed as a vitamin-packed side to any dish.
- Serving Size: 2 rolls
- Calories: 448
- Carbohydrate Content: 52 g
- Fat Content: 2 g
- Fiber Content: 11 g
- Protein Content: 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 827 mg
- Sugar Content: 13 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 7 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 10.5 g