Indulge — just make it mini. These teeny buns have all the sweet, cinnamon-laced appeal of their bigger cousins, but sub in a less- rich Greek yogurt drizzle for the traditional cream cheese frosting. They’re also gluten-free!
1. Make dough: Line a 10 x 14-inch baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. In a large bowl, mix together milk, yeast and honey. Let stand until frothy, about 5 minutes. Stir in eggs, butter and vanilla. Stir in all-purpose flour, almond flour and arrowroot to make a smooth dough. Cover bowl and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
2. Dust work surface with more all-purpose flour. Roll out dough into a 12 x 20-inch rectangle, dusting with more flour as needed and using a bench scraper to make sure underside isn’t sticking to work surface.
3. Make filling: In a small bowl, stir sugar with cinnamon. Using your fingers, rub in room-temperature butter until mixture has a sandy texture. Stir in water. Spread evenly over dough.
4. Using a pizza cutter or sharp chef’s knife, cut dough in half lengthwise, then cut into thirds crosswise to make 6 equal pieces. Using bench scraper to help support dough, roll up each piece into a log. Using a sharp serrated knife, cut each into 4 pieces to make 24 buns total. Transfer buns, cut sides down, to prepared baking sheet and cover with a kitchen towel. Let rise while oven preheats to 350°F.
5. Uncover buns and brush with melted butter. Bake until golden, 15 to 18 minutes. Transfer baking sheet to a wire rack and let cool for 15 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, make yogurt drizzle: In a small bowl, stir together drizzle ingredients. Drizzle over warm buns.
TIP: This delicate dough can be a bit fragile, so the bench scraper can help keep it from tearing as you manipulate it. But even if it tears, that’s OK — just patch it back together and keep rolling. The buns will turn out just fine.
MAKE AHEAD: Make and bake up to 1 day in advance; cover and refrigerate. Reheat at 250°F just before serving. Top with drizzle.
- Serving Size2 buns
- Carbohydrate Content24 g
- Cholesterol Content30 mg
- Fat Content10 g
- Fiber Content2 g
- Protein Content4 g
- Saturated Fat Content4 g
- Sodium Content19 mg
- Sugar Content13 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content4 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content1 g