Spatchcock, also know as Spattlecock, is the process of removing the backbone from poultry to flatten it out in preparation for roasting or grilling it. The end result is a more evenly cooked chicken (or turkey, duck or any game bird) that cooks much faster. There’s no need to wonder if the thigh meat is done at the same time that the breast is fully cooked when you spatchcock the bird first.
Here’s what you do:
- Place the bird breast-side down on a cutting board or work surface
- Starting at thigh end, cut along one side of the backbone with kitchen shears.
- Turn chicken around and cut along the other side.
- Save the backbone for stock
- Flip the chicken over and open it like a book. Pressing down firmly on breastbone to flatten.
That’s it! Time to smear it with butter and Spiceology Black Magic Cajun Rub and roast it to crispy perfection.
Black Magic Spatchcock Chicken
Prep time: 10 minsCook time: 40 minsTotal time: 50 minsServes: 6-8
Our Black Magic cajun seasoning spices up a spatchcocked chicken.
- 4 lb whole chicken, spatchcocked
- 3 tablespoons Spiceology Black Magic Cajun Rub Cajun Rub, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 400º F. Lightly spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
- Mix 1 tablespoon Black Magic rub with butter. Loosen skin over the breast meat and divide the butter mixture between the 2 sides, rubbing it evenly. Sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons of rub over the entire chicken. Place breast side up on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 35-45 minutes, or until juices run clear when thickest part of chicken is pierced with a knife. Serve immediately.